Ava got home today from school and this was the conversation that ensued:
Ava: Mom, can you tell me more about Martha, Marthur, I mean Martin Luther King Jr.? Why was he killed?
Me: Were you learning about him in school?
Ava: Yes, we were talking about him today.
Me: (not knowing how in depth to go or how to answer her question) What did Ms. Garza say about him?
Ava: She said that he was trying to change things and without him we wouldn't be able to have kids of different colors in class together. Like if Hannah has tan skin and the rest of us have peach skin, then she couldn't be in class with us.
Me: What do you think about that?
Ava: It's just silly, because we are all perfect just the way we are.
Me: You're right! That's pretty smart. How do you know that?
Ava: Well, you say that all the time! (Which is true, but in a different context. I usually remind her we are all perfect just the way we are whenever she is being too hard on herself or upset about having curly hair ;) - but I am glad to see she can apply it in different contexts, especially these important ones!)
Then I figured I would find a YouTube video with a kids version about Martin Luther King Jr. Ava immediately recognized the "I have a dream" speech, saying "that was his important speech, right?
Glad to see they are learning important things in school and that she is curious! Can't ask for more than that! So blessed!
No comments:
Post a Comment