Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Bye bye chupeta!!

Ava has hit one more milestone - she has given up using a pacifier, her "chupeta", "peta", "paci".

After we got back from Brazil, Ava had a little rash around her mouth likely from using her chupeta a little more than usual.  Since we were getting back into our routines, and I had a week off from work between Christmas and New Year's, I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to help wean her from the chupeta.  During the preceding week, we would talk about what a big girl she was and how she didn't need it anymore.  Then I asked her if she thought Santa Claus could take it to babies who need chupetas and leave her big girl toys instead.  She seemed to think it was a pretty good idea, so I ran with it.

On Christmas day, Ava woke up to find big girl presents under the tree and didn't even care that her chupetas seemed to have disappeared.  That is until it was time for bed.  Yes, bedtime was a little rough that first week, since Ava was a little restless trying to find a different way to settle down.  Soon enough, though, we found new ways to give her the calm and comfort she sought.  After about a week, she didn't really ask about it anymore!  Hooray for Ava!!!

One other side effect from getting rid of the "plug" is that she talks even more now!  We thought she talked a lot already, but taking the "plug" out made her talk even more! She really sings, talks, tells stories all day long!

I am so proud of her hitting this milestone. :)  Chupetas are only for her baby dolls now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment