I am often in awe, amused, entertained, and shocked by the things my little ones say. Now that Alex is talking a lot more too, he is contributing quite a bit to this entertainment!
ALEX
This morning, when we were on our way out the door, running a little late, I ended up slipping slightly off the back door step. I had Alex in my arms when I had the little slip and I just said "oops", but his response was "air-ful mommy" (meaning 'careful mommy'). I couldn't help but giggle at the response. My little guy is not even 2 years old, but perceptive enough to know what to say! On the way home he also asked if I was tired "rar-oo tie-yard mommy?" - such a sweet little guy. And the constant that I hear from the backseat is: "pet-tel peez" (pretzel please!) and "tan-too Ava" (thank you Ava!).
---
Earlier this week we went for a walk around the block. Ava and Alex walk on the curb the whole way, searching for sticks that look like wands and acorns. Alex had picked up a stick and was swinging it around a bit. He accidentally bumped my leg with it and immediately said "sorry mommy!", "I kiss it?" while trying to lean over to kiss my leg. He really is my peacemaker, a truly sweet soul. Always very quick to apologize for any little thing, whether to me, Ava, Daddy, whoever it may be.
---
Of course, I must also mention that as of one week ago, Alex learned the word "why" and has made full use of his new word. He uses it all the time, and in the perfect context, so much that I can't help but respond to his questions.
Mommy - Come Alex, let's go in mommy's room.
Alex - Why?
Mommy - Because mommy is going to take a shower and you and Ava need to stay in my room with me.
Alex - Why?
Mommy - Because I need to be able to hear you two playing while I take a shower.
Alex - Why?
Mommy - So that I know that you two are doing a good job and are not getting into anything you shouldn't be.
Alex - Oh! okay!
AVA
Today when we were getting home from school/work and had Vovo on speakerphone, Ava and Vovo had the following conversation:
Ava: We're almost home Vovo!
Vovo: Okay, we can talk later.
Ava: We're pulling in the driveway, but I will call you later on Skype okay?
...this little one is only 3.5 years old! Vovo later commented that she only learned the "pulling in the driveway" expression a couple years ago - where does Ava pick up all these expressions?
---
At bedtime, Ava told me she was going to get Alex three gifts for his birthday. When I asked her what gifts she was going to get him, she said "Mommy, for Alex's birthday I am going to get him a gorilla, spiderman pj's, and a castle with princesses". Of course she also itemizes the gifts using her hands, as though she is counting them out; first putting out her thumb for the gorilla, then her pointer for the spiderman pj's, and adding her middle finger for the castle. I don't know where she comes up with these ideas!
---
One thing that Ava stuns me with on quite a frequent basis is her amazing ability to recognize/identify car makes and models. I have a hard time remembering the distinct cars that people drive, but Ava knows them down to the exact color! For example, if she sees a Ford F150 that is a gray/brown color, she'll say "look Mommy! There's daddy's truck!", yet no other make/model/similar color will get that reaction. She knows exactly which Honda Pilot is ours, she can spot Vovo's Honda Civic, our neighborhood friend's GMC Acadia in a pearl white color, etc. I really don't know how she retains all these details, but she has yet to make a mistake on these cars that recognizes!
---
Of course, there are some mispronunciations that she does that are simply too cute not to document:
- When singing "The Muffin Man", she will say "do you know the muffin man who lives in Chauney Lake?" - when it should be "do you know the muffin man that lives on Drury Lane"
- When she doesn't sleep well, she complains that her "forthhead" hurts, while putting her hand on her forehead. Too funny!
- When singing Cinderella's song "Sweet, sweet nightingale", Ava was certain it was "sweep, sweep night in jail; sweep, sweep, night in jail". So cute, but she is super stubborn and refused to believe me when I tried to correct her. She accepted it was "nightingale", but certain I was wrong about the "sweet" part, after all Cinderella is sweeping when she is singing that song. And whenever she wants to argue that she is right about something, she will say "Well that is what Quequel and Tia Stela told me it is, so that's what it is!"
No comments:
Post a Comment