Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Oh the things these kids say...

Sure the incessant talking sometimes can be a little on the exhausting side (haha), but the things that come out of their mouths is just SO entertaining!  Here are just a few examples from the past couple days:

Ava and Alex were playing in my bathroom, then Alex found all the rolls of toilet paper in the cabinet and started taking them out.
Ava: Alex! No, buddy, put those back.
Alex: Nah.
Ava: Alex, put it back son. (in a low tone voice)
Alex: Nah.
Ava: Alex, put it back hon. Come on, put it back honey. Honey, honey!
Alex: okay! (and he actually proceeded to put the rolls of toilet paper back!)
Ava: Good job!
Yes, I realize this conversation very much resembles a recent conversation Ava's cousin Bridgette had with Aiden.  I guess it is an "in-charge" 3 year old thing!

Ava is always very good about telling me what she did at school.  Sometimes it is completely accurate, and other times she takes some imaginative tangents (typically when it comes to explaining a scratch or a little bruise, where she often states she hit a ceiling fan or an overhead light).  She will share who went in timeout, what they did, what the teacher said.  She will tell me about her friends, mostly August (who was Ava's friend also at their old school, a blondish, sweet little girl, whose mom works with me), Eleanor (a petite little Asian girl who loves to play with Ava), and Candice (who has a twin brother Leighton, and will often go to school dressed up like a princess).  Today when I picked up Ava, Candice said "Bye princess Ava!"...Ava is totally into princesses lately.
Me: Ava, what did you do at school today?
Ava: I played with my friends.
Me: Who did you play with?
Ava: I played with August and Eleanor.  I was the mommy and August was my baby and I was taking care of her.  She was being a good baby girl. Then Eleanor wanted to play too, so she was the daddy.

On our way home from school/work, Ava was first convinced she saw her Daddy running on the exercise track by the university.
Ava: Mommy!!!  I just saw my Daddy running!!! hahaha! He was running so fast!!
of course it wasn't really him, but she was giddy with just the thought that it might be him.
Ava: Mommy, I need to check if my Daddy is home.
Me: You do? Do you want to call him?
Ava: No, because he is in the bathroom.
Me: In the bathroom?
Ava: Yes, he is in the bathroom changing his clothes (an everyday after work occurrance)
Me: How do you know?
Ava: I just know! I just know everything! haha!
Me: You do?
Ava: Yes, I just know all the things I need!

Alex is also picking up steam, and I am getting better at deciphering what he has to say:
Mama = Mommy
Mah-má = Vovó
Moh = More (often accompanied by sign language for "more" as well)
All = All done (often accompanied by sign language for "all done" when he doesn't want to eat anymore
Cancu = Thank you
Dagun, or Daa = Daddy
Dá - gun = Voovoo
All hmm ta-um = "all through town" when he wants to sing "the wheels on the bus" - he has also started doing some of the gestures for the song
Okay = Okay (the one word we clearly understand! He uses it often when pretending to talk on the phone)
Nah = mostly means yes, sometimes means no
Tcha, tcha = tchau, tchau (bye-bye)
Ba = ball
Boh = Bo (our dog)


No comments:

Post a Comment